TIPS OF HOW TO GET FROM GOOD TO GREAT!
- Watch, Learn, Listen and Read-Lifelong Learning Style
- Plan Your Goals and Set Realisticly, Measurable, Plan, Set
- Sport-Specific Skill Training
- Cardiovascular Training
- Weight Training
- Enough Sleep and Rest Time Required
- Mindset and Mental Preparation, Determination, Outlook, Focus
- 100% Effort all The Time
- Confidence In Yourself and Your Teammates
- Overcoming Adversities Like Physical, Mental and Emotional to Not Allowing Any Downfall and Distance From Your Work and Plan
- Push Your Teammates in the off-season, Do the team work with the team and with the workout group
- Unselfish Team work and Collaborative Mindset
- Be Happy When Your Team Do Well
- Put Some Character In The Team!!!!
- Sportsmanship is Part That Matches Good With Character
- Time Management Is One of The Big Parts of Reaching Your Goals
QUESTIONS THAT WILL HELP YOU TO RECHECK YOURSELF:
- How I start my day with nutrition and hydration when I leave the house? Did I have everything with me that will carry me through the day? Am I doing it every day of the week or I miss weekends?
- Do I plan right and do I have my food and water all the time? If not why not and how to improve.
- When I leave my job, school, workout session, do I have my food and water with me? Did I plan correctly to have enough food with me?
- How many times per day I eat? Do I prepare enough food for my self? Did I plan correctly my food for the day of activity?
Eat 5-6 times per day which is 2.5 to 3 hours each meal. Balance your meals to have enugh protein, carbohydrates, vegetables and healthy fat.
Water drinking is important so you have to drink enough water and you can determine roughly number taking your body weight dividing by 3. However if you exercise you need to drink more because you loose more body fluid and you need to replace it.
GOOD PROTEIN SOURCES:
Chicken Breast (grilled or baked)
Lean Red Meat
Yogurt (not with fruit added)
GOOD CARBOHYDRATE SOURCES:
Rice (brown rice is the best)
Whole wheat pasta
Oatmeal (steel cuts is the best)
HEALTHY FAT SOURCES:
Natural peanuts and almond butter
Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
FAST FOOD TO AVOID:
For those times you may get fast food or find it's your only option (first ask yourself how you get to that option and where you failed), here are some tips for making the best of it:
Choose water or milk to drink
Order smaller portions
Order grilled vs. crispy fried chicken or fish
Look for fruits or vegetables that are offered in menu
Salads are another option
Mexican food (burrito, soft tacos with grilled veggies,
Hamburgers or veggie burgers
Low fat garden vegetable soup and smoked turkey breast
BETTER TO PREPARE AHEAD AND PACK:
Trail mix, nuts and seeds
Fresh fruit, sliced vegetables
Sandwiches (home made)
Yogurt (no fruit added only plain)
DO I NEED TO EAT BEFORE I EXERCISE OR PLAY SPORT?
Yes, because having a meal (at least 1 hour prior exercising or playing sport) with protein and come carbohydrates will help:
Your performance will be great
Your power and strength will be up top
Your body will be nourished properly to be able to do the task that is in front of you
WHAT SHOULD I EAT?
The key to pre-game/pre-exercise meals is not just meal itself. What you eat each day during the week is the key factor. Of course you have to eat before practice/exercise hour or two before and immediately after. Hydrating is another key factor of getting your body strong and ready for the activity.
WHAT SHOULD I EAT BEFORE ACTIVITY?
Good food is protein and carbohydrates. That is low digesting and low glycemic index carbohydrates and of course we can't forget healthy fats.That food is veggies, protein, and whole grains. That is how you get energy during the activity.
Whole wheat pasta with grilled chicken and broccoli
Grilled fish or chicken breast with brown rice and vegetables of your choice
Peanut butter sandwich and plain yogurt
Fruit and yogurt with whole wheat oats and protein powder blended together
Cottage cheese with fresh fruit and vegetables
Whole grain bread and canned tuna and fruit
WHAT I SHOULD AVOID BEFORE MY ACTIVITY?
All fast food is bad for you but its even worst if you are eating before any activity. Any high sugar foods (chewing or drinking) will reduce your energy in the middle of activity because your insulin (body's hormone) will sky rocket with that food and then crash the body system.Your body will not be able to perform on your highest level.
WHAT ABOUT FLUIDS?
Hydrating yourself is not just moment when you are ready to start activity. You have to make your body hydrated all the time so when your time for activity comes then your body is ready! You can't make body ready in the "moment" because body needs to be ready to be taken care on the daily basis. Once you are dehydrated your body is going to protect it self (natural motion) and starts "collapsing" by having: cramps, dizziness, fatigue, and gets even worst with serious symptoms if you try to keep working it through. So put some emphasis on hydrating your self all the time.
Remember!!!! During the activity time even a small loss of your body fluid (sweating, not having enough water before) can have significant impact on your performance. Don't wait to be thirsty in order to start drinking water. At that point you are late and dehydrated! If it is hot day increase water intake because you will be sweating more.
WHAT SHOULDN'T I DRINK?
Avoid all sugary drinks like sodas and juices!!!! Don't rely on "energy drinks" as they are full of sugar and they will not provide to your body proper dehydration.
Once you are done with activity you have short window of replacing lost energy which means you need to have ready food to be able to eat immediately. Your window is about 60 min where every cell in your body has "open door" to receive nutrition in order to start replacing lost energy. Body is replacing and "fixing" muscle tissue that is "damaged" (split of muscle fiber) and make it ready for next activity time.
To nutrition your self the best way is to start with protein shake that contains milk, protein powder, fruit. After that regular meal can be used and prepared because your body will get first and good nutrition that can be used to start replacing and nurturing muscle tissue.
THAT WOULD BE BASIC THINGS IN ORDER TO KEEP OUR GOALS GOING AND REACHING THEM. WITH DISCIPLINE AND YOUR COMMITMENT YOU WILL REACH YOUR GOALS.